Upcoming Rider Coach Prep (RCP) Courses:
(Must be able to attend all 3 weekends)
Four Rivers HD Paducah, KY Dates:
Last date to sign up is July 15th.
Weekend 1: Friday, Aug 26, 6-9pm, Sat/Sun, Aug 27-28, 8am-5pm
Weekend 2: Friday, Sep 9, 6-9pm, Sat/Sun, Sep 10-11, 8am-5pm
Weekend 3: Friday, Sep 16, 6-9pm, Sat/Sun, Sep 17-18, 8am-5pm
Teaching the classes can be as fun as taking the classes as well as a source of extra income. Rates for instructors can vary somewhat due to experience, location and the types of course taught. Training is provided as well as continuing education opportunities, many of which are paid for.
So if you think you have what it takes to be a NEW instructor in Kentucky, follow these steps:
Do you meet the following requirements set forth by state law:
- Over the age of 18
- Have at least 2 years of motorcycle riding experience.
- Currently an active rider with a valid motorcycle endorsement. (Not the permit)
- License has NOT been suspended for any reason within the past 2 years or within the past 5 years for a DUI.
- Can you put in three (3) full weekends to complete the course?
- If you can say YES to all the above then proceed to the next step.
Fill out the application located here in the top right corner of the page.
- Please include a copy / scan of your driver's license as well.
- While not required, it is strongly suggested to job shadow a few classes prior to going through the training classes. Accompany an existing coach(es) during a weekend, to give you the behind the scenes look at things and you can be sure this is something you wish to pursue. The list of current training sites are here on the website. Please contact a training site in your area and arrange a time to do some job shadowing. For those interested who are in the military, contacting your base safety officer is typically the best option for this.
Now that you are sure this is something, you want to do, the program administrator or instructor trainer will help to schedule a training class for you to attend. These classes are held regionally once we have a significant amount of applicants in an area or have opened a new training location needing instructors. To get final approval for the course which takes three (3) full weekends to complete, you will need to submit the following:
- A copy of your driving record for the last 5 years.
- For Kentucky residents the KYDOT calls it a clearance letter on their website and is only $3. Click here for the application. When finished once again please send it to the program administrator ASAP.
- For instructors in a neighboring state please see appropriate agency in your state for a similar document.
WARNING – You will NOT be allowed to register for the instructor course until the driving record is received. It typically takes most state agencies a week or two to process the application and mail the document to you. The cutoff for instructor classes is about 3 weeks PRIOR to the date of the class. There are materials to read and study prior to the first class, which must also be mailed to you. You will need about 2 weeks to complete the pre-course work. DO NOT WAIT until the last minute to get this document.
If you are an existing certified instructor that has recently moved into the state or live in a neighboring state and wish to teach in KY, please do the following:
- Fill out the application. Be sure to include your coaches' number.
- Obtain a copy of your 5yr driving record from the appropriate state agency.
- Make a copy of your driver's license.
- A letter of recommendation from the state administrator, training site or military commander you worked with previously.
- Send all the above to the program administrator listed on the application.
If you have any further questions about the process please feel free to contact the Program Administrator Jay Huber at email@example.com
or at 502-564-1568.