Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

​​What do I need to bring to class?

For the BRC classes motorcycles are provided for your use. You may bring your own bike to a BRC class provided it is under 500cc, student has at least a motorcycle instructional permit and the bike is properly licensed and insured. Students taking the BRC2, ARC and / or TCARC must bring their motorcycle, license / permit, registration and proof of insurance.  Students taking the 3WBRC may bring their own trike or some locations have them available for use. When bringing your own bike it must be road legal with a headlight, tail light, front and rear turn signals, horn and left side mirror at a minimum.

You should arrive at all classes with the following items:

  • Minors (under 18) - Guardian signature of the waiver form
  • 3/4 or Full-face DOT-approved helmet (loaners available at some locations)
  • Protective eyewear
  • Jacket or long-sleeved shirt
  • Long pants with no holes, rips or tears
  • Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear (must cover the ankle bone)
  • Full-fingered gloves
  • Rain gear - optional (see local weather forecast)
  • A positive attitude and willingness to learn.

What is the process to get my motorcycle endorsement?

The traditional method consists of two parts, the written test and the skills test. You must take the written test at a Kentucky State Police testing center to get your instruction permit. Click here to schedule your test.  Upon successful completion of the written test you must hold it for at least 30 days. After the 30 days, you can use the same link to schedule a skills test administered by KSP. 

After July 15, 2023 taking the Basic Rider Course (BRC), and for those sites that prove a motorcycle the 3-Wheel basic Rider Course (3WBRC), successful completion of the course will qualify you for your full motorcycle endorsement. It will waive BOTH the written and skills tests with no waiting period. See the KYTC website for all the details. KYTC Licensing for Motorcycles and Mopeds

There is hybrid method in which you can take the written test with the State Police and also take a skills waiver course. You would schedule your test on the KSP website (Click here to schedule your test) and then schedule a time to take one of our courses on the Get Training tab at the top of the page.​ If you have been riding for a while and wish to bring your own bike, then look at the BRC2 course to see if that may be right for you.

What happens if I take the course or skills test on a 3-Wheel motorcycle?

​If you take the 3-Wheel Basic Rider Course (3WBRC) or take the skills test with the state police on a 3-wheel motorcycle, your license will have a limit code placed on it. It will limit you to a 3-Wheel motorcycle only. It will show up as a similar limitation for a person who is required to wear glasses or may have night vision issues.

I am a Kentucky resident in the military stationed out of state.

​The military requires all personnel wishing to ride a motorcycle on base to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course and then a refresher course every several years. If you, your spouse or dependents wish to update your license with a motorcycle endorsement click on the link for detailed instructions. KYTC Licensing for Motorcycles and Mopeds In short you would need to send proof of completing the MSF's BRC course, or equivalent, to the KYTC licensing division. The link has the proper form to complete and submit with instructions. Many military bases offer the MSF course on post for active duty personnel, see your post safety officer for details. For spouses and dependents, KY recognizes rider ed courses from all other states, provided they are certified by that state for licensing purposes. So taking a state certified course in your area will meet the requirements for updating the license(s) those of family member(s) not able to take the course on base. They can use the same form, at the link above, to update their license(s) also.​

How long are the waiver cards good for?

The waiver cards are good for one (1) year from the date of issue (last day of class) to be used by the KY Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) licensing branch office for the purpose of a waiving the written and/or skills portion of the motorcycle endorsement process. ​Click here for a list of offices around the state.

 Insurance companies vary but many will give a discount if the course was taken within the past 3-5 years. Ask your local agent for more details.

I lost my card and need to get a duplicate.

Please contact the location where you took the course or the program administrator Jay Huber at / 502-564-1568 for a duplicate skills waiver card or certification letter that you have completed the course.  No duplicates will be issued after 1 year from the date of the class since they are no longer valid for licensing purposes. If needed for insurance or military purposes, a letter of completion can be issued. If you took the course on a military base such as Ft. Knox or Ft. Campbell we do not keep those records, please see your base safety officer. 

Do I have to take the written test and get my permit BEFORE I take the class?

For the courses such as the BRC and some 3WBRC in which the sites are providing the bikes to use, the answer is NO. You can take the written test either before or after completing the course. After July 15, 2023 these courses will waive BOTH the written and skills tests. 

For courses such as the BRC2, ARC and some 3WBRC where you are bringing your own motorcycle to use, you must be able to legally operate the vehicle on the roadways with a permit / endorsement, proper registration and have proof of insurance with you.

How long is a motorcycle instructional permit good for?

Motorcycle instruction permits are good for one year and can only be renewed once. After that, one of the skills waiver courses are required to obtain your full endorsement.

Are there special rules for permit holders?

Instruction permit holders are not allowed to carry passengers and MUST wear a helmet on the roadways regardless of your age. For those under 18 you cannot operate a vehicle of any kind between Midnight and 6 am barring a few exceptions.

What is the helmet law in KY?

All riders and passengers under the age of 21 MUST wear a helmet on the roadways. You also must wear one until you have held your full endorsement for at least one (1) year. Eye protection is also required for ALL riders and passengers at all times.

I live in an area that doesn’t have a class near me, but there is one in a neighboring state. Can I take the class there?

Yes, you can take the class in a neighboring state and present your completion paperwork to KYTC Licensing branch office for the waiver portion of obtaining your endorsement. Depending on the course taken, you may still have to pass the instructional permit test here in KY and hold that permit for at least 30 days. The out of state course MUST be an approved waiver course in that state, for it to be accepted here. Examples would be skills waiver courses using the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), Motorcycle Ohio Rider Education (MORE) or Total Control (TC) curriculums. For specific course questions you may contact the program administrator / 502-564-1568.

What type of motorcycles are used in the course?

All motorcycles used in the basic courses are 500cc or less. The make and model does vary, depending on the location at which you take the course. The provided 3-Wheel motorcycles do not have a limit on engine size but do have the speeds limited electronically.

I had a lot of fun taking the class and was interested in possibly teaching the classes. How do I become an instructor?

To become an instructor, please see our Instructors page.

There are no courses offered in my area but quite a few riders here. How could I start a Training Center in my area?

To become a Training Provider and host classes in your area please see our Providers page.